Thursday, 14 February 2013

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Released October 26th 2010
Published by Mira Ink
Paperback, 260 Pages

Synopsis:
I've left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don't, put the book back on the shelf, please.

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favourite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.

What I thought:
I first acquired this book through Netgalley and got quite a bit into the book but I found it quite hard to read off of my computer screen so I ended up buying the book. At first I thought "How is anything decent going to happen in a book this small" but I stand corrected, while reading this book I felt compelled to keep reading the book even if it was 4 in the morning and I had college the next day. All throughout the book I felt frustrated at the fact that they could easily meet each other but they didn't and then Dash had to bump into her at the worst possible time!

So the book has two main protagonists and as you can guess from the title their names are Dash and Lily. Dash is a well off teenager who has convinced both of his parents to go on holiday for the Christmas season without them knowing that the other parent is on holiday as well  so he is completely alone over the festive period. Lily is a teenage girl which I can only describe as childish, yes she seems so much younger than her age once again her parents have left for holiday leaving her and her brother to fend for themselves. The two main characters worlds collide when Lily's older brother convinces her to leave a notebook in the strand(her favourite bookstore) with a list of tasks for whoever picks it up to complete, enter Dash. This is where the book takes off and they have each other running around NYC completing tasks and leaving the notebook in unusual places. I really like the plot of the story as its such a cute story that will leave you wanting to leave a notebook in your favourite shop for someone to pick up. I love how the book is set in New York/Manhattan especially as the two authors have gone into detail when describing the surroundings and shear business of the city at that time of year, I think that the plot line and the time of year makes the city seem so much more magical. The book is narrated by the two protagonists and switches between their perspective throughout the book, I thought that this is a great idea as it gives you a chance to learn about each character and what they're really like.

Overall I really enjoyed this book as I think that the authors have done a great job at building the characters and they've made a cute story that you can read on a cold winters afternoon, I definitely recommend this book to anyone that's looking for a short winter read. I will definitely be checking out their other book which is called Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist which is also a fantastic film! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...