Sunday, 17 February 2013

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Released June 14th 2012
Published by Dial Books for Young Readers
Hardcover, 394 Pages
Amazon(UK)
Amazon(US)

Synopsis:
"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over

What I thought:
First things first, this is a summer book so I probably would of liked it more if I actually read it in the summer rather than the winter. It made me feel sad that its freezing cold in the UK and so far away from "summer' thats if we actually get a proper one this year but I highly doubt that we will. Oh well a girl can dream! When I heard about this book I felt like I must read it right away as contemporary YA books are my weak spot, I love them so much.

The synopsis doesn't give much away other than the fact it will have a bit of romance in it, I really enjoyed the plot of this book as it was well thought and it definitely had a lot of charm to it. I love the Garrett family, they may seem like the dreaded neighbours from hell with a lot of kids but you really do end up liking them as you get to know each individual member of the family. Their personalities are all so different from each others but I think thats what makes the family work, especially as they come together during distressing times and help one and other through it. I wasn't too keen on Samantha's family however, her mum was a definite snob so it was painful to read about her and her judgemental ways- not cool Miss Reed!. We didn't get to know Samantha's sister that much which was a shame as she didn't seem to bad when she was actually in the book. What was with Clay as well, Clay is the politics crazy boyfriend of Samantha's mother. I don't like the way he treated Sam, blackmailing her and making her feel guilty because she knew something that could potentially ruin her mum but if she kept it quiet it would also ruin other peoples lives!

Although the romance in this book was cute I was hoping to get more from it? there was definitely chemistry between Samantha and Jase but I was secretly hoping that she would end up with Tim! Ah Tim the screwed up older brother of Samantha's best friend Nan. I wasn't mad about Nan either as I felt that she gave Samantha a hard time about petty things, I don't like petty people at all. I think that Tim and Samantha might have been an interesting match and I would've loved to read about them.

All in all it was an enjoyable read with a wonderful bunch of characters that I definitely wont be forgetting anytime soon! a perfect debut novel from Huntley Fitzpatrick, I look forward to reading more of her stuff in the future. I recommend that you read this book in the summer though as it is a perfect read for a lazy session in the sun.

2 comments:

  1. followed you please follow back
    http://nabooksvsboys.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by I've followed you back :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...