Sunday, 30 June 2013

Amy & Rogers Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy & Rogers Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Published May 4th 2010 by Simon and Schuster
Paperback, 343 Pages
Synopsis: 
Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My Thoughts:
After reading many great reviews about this book I wanted to know what all the hype was about. So when I saw a copy of it in The Works for £2 I decided to pick it up. I started reading this book back in April but I didn't get a chance to finish it as life got in the way. Since I finished college a couple of weeks ago I haven’t had much to do so I finally got around to reading the rest. I can’t say that I agree with the reviews that say it’s amazing; however it did keep me somewhat entertained. 

If you’re looking for a super sweet, fun read then look no further! The book focuses around Amy Curry, a young teenage girl who’s tormented by the death of her father and now she must drive across country to get to her new home. Since the traumatic accident she hasn't been able to drive, enter Roger, he’s your typical YA male character with a few of his own demons. The pair is sent on a road trip to get Amy to her new home in Connecticut but rather than sticking to Amy’s mothers strict itinerary they decide to take an “epic” detour which takes them all over the place. This book is a story of self-discovery, adventure and there’s even a bit of romance thrown in there! 

Now, when I saw the words “epic” and “detour” I thought that we was going to see the two characters have a real adventure in which they’d do things you wouldn't expect. But by about half way through, the book had gotten predictable and I didn't see any room for improvement. However I did like how we met new characters along the way and in their own special way they each helped Amy come to terms with what had happened. They also resurrected her from the dead and showed her what it meant to be alive again. This was nice as I felt sorry for her character and I wanted for her to feel happy again.

I felt that the plot line was slow burning and I had a hard time getting through some of the chapters. I really enjoyed the formatting of the book and how a few of the pages were laid out like a scrapbook with photos, receipts and information about the places that they visited. This enabled me to visualise their surroundings a bit better which was nice as I'm from the UK so I don’t have a clue what some of these places are like! However I didn't like how these pages were randomly placed as at some points they interrupted the story and made me forget what was going on.

There’s an instant chemistry between Amy and Roger and throughout the book I felt myself wanting them to realise that they’re perfect for each other. It was nice to see their friendship develop though, as I feel that authors push their two main characters into relationships too quickly. I would've liked for there to have been a few more juicy scenes between Amy and Roger. However I do realise that this is YA so it’s probably best that the author kept it sweet.

All in all this was a light hearted read which kept me thoroughly entertained and I would recommend it to anyone who’s looking for something that will get them in the mood for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...