Friday, 21 June 2013

Guest Post: Five Lesser-Known Books I Suggest Checking Out

Hi there! I’m Kaitlin from Reading is My Treasure, and this is my first ever guest blog post. I’m really happy to write this post and to recommend some books I really liked. 

I’m new to blogging, but I’m definitely not new to the world that is YA fiction. I've read a ton of great books, and I feel that some of them should really get more attention than they do now. So, here is a few suggestions for those of you looking for another great read. All of the following books have less the 3,000 ratings on Goodreads (the first one has the least amount and the last one has the highest number of ratings).

Five Lesser-Known Books I Suggest Checking Out


Justice (Deck of Lies #1) by Jade Varden 
It’s a YA contemporary with a focus on crime and family. The cover doesn't look like much, but the inside is full of twists and turns that just spells disaster for the main character. 

Goodreads description: 
A House of Cards...
When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day. 

I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I'm ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they're hiding.

The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can't stop until I've discovered them all. I'll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what's underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet. 

I just hope I can survive the crash.


What Kills Me by Wynne Channing 
This is a pretty awesome book, and I don’t think many people know about it. It’s one of the many, many YA vampire books out there, but I felt like this one had some unique twists.


Goodreads description: 
The fight for survival begins.

An ancient prophecy warns of a girl destined to cause the extinction of the vampire race.

So when 17-year-old Axelia falls into a sacred well filled with blood and emerges a vampire, the immortal empire believes she is this legendary destroyer. Hunted by soldiers and mercenaries, Axelia and her reluctant ally, the vampire bladesmith Lucas, must battle to survive. 

How will she convince the empire that she is just an innocent teenager-turned bloodsucker and not a creature of destruction? And if she cannot, can a vampire who is afraid of bugs summon the courage to fight a nation of immortals?

Being by Kevin Brooks 
This is a YA sci-fi thriller/adventure that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading both times I've read it. I'm really into weird books—the types of books that make me go, "what the heck just happened?" Do you like those kinds of books, too? Do you like thrilling chases and action? This is the book for you. 

Goodreads description: 
"The Fugitive" meets "Blade Runner" with a Kevin Brooks kick in this heart-stopper about a boy who discovers he's not one hundred percent human.

It was just supposed to be a routine exam. But when the doctors snake the fiber-optic tube down Robert Smith's throat, what they discover doesn't make medical sense. Plastic casings. Silver filaments. Moving metal parts. In his naked, anesthetized state on the operating table, Robert hears the surgeons' shocked comments: "What the hell is that?"

"It's me," Robert thinks, "and I've got to get out of here." Armed with a stolen automatic and the videotape of his strange organs, he manages to escape, and to embark on an orphan's violent odyssey to find out exactly who--exactly what--he is.

From What I Remember . . . by Stacy Kramer & Valerie Thomas 
Looking for a light, fun contemporary read? This one is great and practically had my eyes glued to my Kindle while I was reading. 

Goodreads description: 
KYLIE: Mexico? What a nightmare! I should be putting the finishing touches on my valedictorian speech. Graduation is TODAY! Wait! Is this a wedding band on my finger??

MAX: It started with Kylie's laptop and a truck full of stolen electronics and it ended in Ensenada. It was hot, the way she broke us out like some chick in an action movie. But now we're stranded here, with less than twenty-four hours before graduation.

WILL: Saving Kylie Flores from herself is kind of a full-time occupation. Luckily, I, Will Bixby, was born for the job. And when I found out she was stuck in Mexico with dreamy Max Langston, sure, I agreed to bring their passports across the border but there's no reason to rush back home right away. This party is just getting started.

LILY: This cannot be happening. It's like some cruel joke. Or a bad dream. I close my eyes and when I reopen them, they're still there. Max and Kylie Flores, freak of the century. In bed together. If Kylie thinks I'm giving him up without a fight, she's dead wrong. 

Croak by Gina Damico 

This book is a barrel of laughs, yet has a really sad piece to it (but I can’t say why because that would be spoiling the entire book). I don’t know many people who have given this book a try, but I really recommend it if you like funny books. 

Goodreads description: 
Fed up with her wild behavior, sixteen-year-old Lex's parents ship her off to upstate New York to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer, hoping that a few months of dirty farm work will whip her back into shape. 

But Uncle Mort's true occupation is much dirtier than shoveling manure. He's a Grim Reaper. And he's going to teach Lex the family business. 

She quickly assimilates into the peculiar world of Croak, a town populated by reapers who deliver souls from this life to the next. But Lex can't stop her desire for justice - or is it vengeance? - whenever she encounters a murder victim, craving to stop the attackers before they can strike again. 

Will she ditch Croak and go rogue with her reaper skills? 

I really hope that I helped someone add a new book to their to-read list. Each of the above books are different from one another, but I enjoyed reading each one of them.

I hope you enjoyed the post! To close, I'll leave you a funny quote from Croak:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...