Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
Released August 3rd 2012
Published by Mira Ink
Paperback, 416 Pages

Synopsis:
No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

My Thoughts:
After putting off this book for the past year I have finally given into the hype and picked it up! I didn't know what to expect from this book as I hadn't read any reviews for it so I went into it totally unaware of what was going to happen. I'm so glad that I decided to read this as it blew my mind away!

The book is written from two perspectives, Echo’s and Noah’s. I loved this format when I read the Perfect Chemistry series so I enjoyed seeing it in this book. This format really helps you connect with both characters as you get to see them grow as the novel progresses I think that it’s also nice to read from a male POV as you get to learn what really goes on inside Noah’s head, this really helped me understand his character and his demons. 

The pacing of the book was perfect as we didn't find everything out in the first couple of minutes instead the author decided to build up to the main event. I liked this as it meant that we are kept in suspense throughout the book and it made me want to read on until I knew everything. I'm glad that the author chose to keep things slow between Echo and Noah as it makes their friendship/relationship more realistic and doesn't give young teens this idea that they need to jump straight into things as soon as they meet each other! 

Good, strong characters are the main thing that I look for in a book with Pushing the Limits we meet an array of characters which all have their own personality. Noah was your typical YA male lead, he was sexy, dangerous and had his demons but under the surface there’s a total sweetheart in him and that really shines through when he’s around Echo. I particularly enjoyed learning about his past life as it was interesting to find out that he wasn't always the “bad boy” that we know him as. I genuinely felt sorry for Echo’s character, reading what she was going through pained me as I wanted to help her and show her that she could pull through in the end. I enjoyed seeing her grow and develop as a person through the book, unlike most YA females I felt that despite what had happened to her she wasn't too whiny. It was nice to read scenes with different characters in as they all played a big part in the book; I especially liked Noah’s two best friends Isaiah and Beth as it was nice to see how much of a big role they played in his life and how they helped him get by on a day to day basis. 

The writing and dialog throughout this book was well written and you could see that Katie McGarry had put a lot of time and dedication into getting this right. I was forever on the edge of my seat throughout the scenes between Echo and Noah, the heat between them was immense and at one point I felt like I needed to fan myself off! 

Bearing in mind that this book focuses on some intense issues I think that anyone who loves YA romance will really like this book. You may lose out on a night’s sleep but it’s worth it as the pros definitely outweigh the cons (not that there is any!) I can’t wait to read more from Katie McGarry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...