Tuesday, 25 June 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Published January 10th 2012 by Dutton Books
Hardcover, 318 Pages
Synopsis:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. 

My Thoughts:
Even though its been a while since I last read this book I haven't been able to forget it. Most bloggers have already written their reviews for it by now but since I only started blogging this year I thought I'd write my own review!

This was the first book that I read by John Green so I didn't know how I would settle into his writing style. But what do you know it, he had stolen my heart from the first line. He had me laughing, sobbing to my heart’s content and I was even a little bit angry at some points, this was the first time that an author had made me feel so many emotions in just one book.

John Green has created a loveable array of characters which you definitely won’t forget about any time soon. By the end of the book I felt like I knew each and every one of them and I was adamant to give them up. I believe that this is John’s first book in which it is narrated and lead by a female character; this surprised me thoroughly as I felt that he’d captured her perfectly. The author has not only created an incredible character but he’s bought her to life! Hazel is a very witty and humorous teenage girl with a less than ordinary life. As a reader you are able to empathise with her as she goes about her every day struggles. 

Augustus Waters, where do I start? First of all I’d like to know where I can get one of him! Despite his disability he is hot and I don’t just mean hot, I mean smoking. He had me hanging onto every single one of his words and I found myself craving more. He’s the type of guy you wouldn't want to introduce to anyone as they would automatically want him to. I really liked his optimism as it made Hazel a lot stronger in her moments of weakness. He’s sweet, caring and hilarious even through the rough times; I wish I knew someone as strong as Augustus as they’d definitely make me a happier person. 

Even though the majority of the book was the Hazel and Gus show—not that I'm complaining as they bought the book to life!—I still loved the other characters. I would've liked to have seen a lot more of Isaac though as he was quite interesting. Again he was optimistic like Gus and didn't let his disability get him down. This was refreshing as it made such a deep subject seem quite happy, it also reminds us that we shouldn't let something drag us down no matter how bad things get. Each and every character had their own personality which I really appreciated as far too often authors write books with unoriginal and boring characters.

The book was fast paced which for once was quite annoying as I didn't want it to end so soon! I adored the plot line especially when Hazel and Gus got the opportunity to go to Amsterdam. It was nice seeing them explore another country and you could tell that the author had done his research about Amsterdam in preparation for this. The only thing that I didn't like about this book was the last 60 odd pages. Now this wasn't because the writing was bad or that it was boring. No, it is simply because I wish that they didn't have to happen! Why would you rip our hearts out like that John? WHY?! I understand that sometimes bad things happen but why does it have to be to good people? It was hard trying to pull through them last few chapters as I couldn't stop blubbering like a baby. 

People say that this book is amazing, but no, it’s a lot more than that. It was like it was written by God himself. I'm actually pretty sure that John Green is God, with his beautiful words that could only be created by the heavens. If you’re one of the few people that hasn't read TFiOS yet then I highly suggest that you jump on the bandwagon and get stuck into this beauty.

 Have you read The Fault in Our Stars? I'd love to know what you thought of it too!

1 comment:

  1. Great review! This book was the real deal. I feel that now more then ever authors write books that tend to whoo that reader for short spans of time this one is one of the few that is remembered.

    Anyways, i've been looking at your blog reviews and basically just posted 5 new "to-reads" on good reads!

    You should come over to my blog @ http://straightfromthereadersmouth.blogspot.com
    I'm a new to the blogosphere and really appreciate the followers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...