Friday, 19 July 2013

[Review] Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly

Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly
Published May 24th 2011 by Candlewick
Hardcover, 449 Pages
Synopsis:
They're out for your soul.
And they don't have heaven in mind...
Willow knows she's different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people's dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. she has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself does. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces and that he's one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil.

My Thoughts:
Angel Burn isn't like any angel themed book I've read before. I admit I was a bit wary of this book when I bought it as there is a wide variety of reviews. But I gave it a chance and I'm glad I did as it was an entertaining read. 

Like a lot of books it was slow burning at the beginning and took some will power to carry on but once you get into it you won’t regret it! The synopsis had promise of an interesting read which it lived up to. I'm used to reading books in which the angels are good (except for fallen ones) so it was nice to see a different take on them. 

I was slightly taken back by the switching of POV and first/third person tense at first as it wasn't clearly stated whose point of view we was reading from. However, once I’d gotten used to it I thought that it worked really well as we were able to learn about each individual character and the roles they played in plot. 

The angels were downright evil, they feed on humans. Yes, you heard me right; they drain the life out of humans leaving them with Angel Burn. Angel Burn can lead to diseases, cancer and mental health problems. No human gets off lucky; instead they are left delusional and face many problems later in life but believe that the angel saved them. I really enjoyed the idea of angels being bad and I think that the author executed it well throughout the book. 

Of course we can’t have angels going around draining the life out of everyone! Enter Alex, a member of the AK which stands for Angel Killers. I was hoping they would have a slightly more bad ass name for this group of elite people. Alas, it’s simple and to the point so I can’t really complain. Anyway, Alex is another typical YA guy, killer looks and stormy blue eyes! What is with authors and blue eyes? I know they’re nice but heck I would like to see something different every now and then. Alex has a cool demeanour and is haunted from the memories of his brother’s death. He doesn't trust anyone and is completely alone. That is until he meets Willow, a half angel he’s supposed to kill… 

Ah, where do I start with Alex and Willow? First of all it was so refreshing to read a book in which the two main characters didn't fall in love straight away. In fact, they didn't particularly like each other at first but as they grow closer while on the run you could see sparks flying. Some parts did make me cringe, but it’s a YA book so you can’t exactly expect anything hot and steamy! Instead we get some gag worthy one liners with a hint of cheese but I really do like this couple as they seem to complete each other. 

I think that the build-up to the main event was slightly dramatic; I wasn't expecting anything too epic being as though it’s the first book in a trilogy. But I would say that this is a solid opening book to what I expect will be an action packed series. I just hope that the editors pick out the mistakes in the next ones, as it was slightly annoying trying to decipher what the author actually meant! I think that I will carry on with this trilogy as it was an interesting read and I would like to see if they take down the angels. But, I will probably wait until the final book is released later this year so I don’t have to wait around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...