Tuesday, 9 July 2013

[Review] The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa (Blood of Eden, #2)

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa
Published April 30th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Hardcover, 434 Pages
Synopsis:
Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.
Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.

My Thoughts: 
Oh Julie, where do I start? Once again you have amazed me. Julie you incredible woman, I think I may love you. 

It’s been half an hour since I finished the book and I'm not sure whether I can continue with life until The Forever Song is in my hands. Kagawa has done it again, I put my trust in her and she showed me paradise before shattering the world around me to leave me damaged and drained. The Eternity Cure is the epitome of heartbreak. Nonetheless, I cannot wait for the next instalment regardless of what may happen, who knows? Maybe everything will turn out dandy fine but with the evil genius Julie Kagawa being the master behind this I highly doubt it.

I honestly don’t know where to begin. This book was epic and when I say epic I mean EPIC! I think capitals are the only way to make it clear just how much I loved this book. In The Eternity Cure Allie is no longer a badass vamp, no, she is THE ULTIMATE BADASS. She evolves into the heroine I’d like to see in every book and definitely brings excitement to the story.

The characters in this series are seriously awesome, I'm glad to have seen the return of many from the previous book. However there is one who stole the show for me that I certainly won’t forget about any time soon, Jackal. Ah yes, Jackal, the raider king who stole the lives of so many loved characters in The Immortal Rules. I didn't think that I’d be able to tolerate him but I have gone on to love him. He has a certain bitterness which envelopes him, but with his wit he comes out on top with hilarious one liners. I feel that Jackals character helped move the story along during the duller moments and I definitely appreciated his presence in the book. The relationship between Allie and Jackal probably has to be my all-time favourite from any book, It was nice to see them bond with each other as brother and sister especially when they were going on at each other. In a way it reminded me of my older brother and I, we always used to bicker and make sarcastic comments but now we’re older we tolerate each other and get on a great deal more. Below is my favourite Jackal quote, I'm not sure why it amused me but I found myself giggling hysterically at it!

“This is the most I have ever been in the sewers in one place. If someone had said to me a month ago, 'Hey, Jackal, guess where you'll be spending most of your time in New Covington? Ankle-deep in shit!' I would've ripped their lips off.”

The pacing of the book was well executed and even through the dull moments I found myself wanting to read on. However what won me over the most was the plot itself. There was always something happening in this book and even though the characters got into some sticky situations which left me reeling, I felt that it was always within reason. Everything that has happened throughout The Eternity Cure has come down to one thing which will unveil itself in The Forever Song next year. I will try to be patient for my sanity’s sake but it will be hard going until then! 

The Eternity Cure bought some nasty surprises and the villain himself is diabolical. But with all of the ups and downs, I think what we have here is a fine example of an excellent sequel. I thoroughly enjoyed every step of the journey especially when all of my favourite characters were thrown together on a mission. Allison, Zeke, Kanin and Jackal are an entertaining bunch which made it an amusing read, I feel that Kagawa has written them as realistically as possible; this was nice as it made it easier to relate to each and every one of them. I must warn you though; you won’t know what’s hit you when you get to the final chapter! I can’t begin to explain how it made me feel.

If you loved The Immortal Rules but are wary of reading this, I can assure you it’s definitely worth carrying on with the series. I bet you’ll like it just as much as I did! If you haven’t started the series yet then what are you waiting for?!

4 comments:

  1. Jackal was definitely a wonderful addition to The Eternity Cure! His sarcastic humor gave the book a lighter atmosphere, which was much needed considering the dark themes this novel focused on. Awesome review!

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking while reading the book! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this book even more than The Immortal Rules. Jackal is hilarious, and it definitely doesn't suffer from second-book-syndrome. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely loved this one a lot more than the first book, I think its probably because of the character development and how so much more happened in this sequel. Thank you!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...