Friday, 2 August 2013

Feature and Follow Friday #11

Alison Can Read Feature & Follow
Feature and Follow Friday is a blog hop hosted by AlisonCanRead and Parajunkee, its a simple way to gain some appreciated exposure to bloggers and to make friends while doing so. The two hosts feature a blog for the week, so you never know it could be you one day! If you'd like to follow me then you can do so using Bloglovin or GFC, leave a comment below to say Hey and I'll be sure to follow you back :) Be sure to check out the hosts sites as well as they're awesome.
Features of The Week- Hardcore Heroines
The Mile Long Bookshelf

Q. How do you handle a book you don’t like? Do you DNF or do you power through?

When I'm reading a book that I'm not enjoying I try to give it a chance and read it all. I have ended up loving about 90% of these books as they've gotten better as the story progressed. Take Across The Universe for example, I really didn't like the book at the start but as more stuff started happening I wanted to carry on reading. Man, I love that book. However, there are times when I come across a book that I cannot stand and have to stop reading immediately. If I'm not hooked by 100 or so pages I know I will not like it. Sadly there are books that this has happened with. Uglies by Scott Westerfield is one of those books, so many people loved it and yet here I was hating the characters. It didn't grab me. It didn't appeal to me. Quite frankly, it bored me! So to answer the question, I do try to pull through and read the whole book but sometimes I just don't have the strength to carry on.

What do you do when you're not enjoying a book?

11 comments:

  1. I agree about Uglies. I just couldn't get into it. New follower :) Check out my FF at www.myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I try to give every book a chance in case it just starts out slow! New follower :)

    Follow back? http://metaphoricalgirl.blogspot.com/2013/08/ff-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good answer! I used to power on, but with so many books waiting to be read, it's not worth the pain.

    New follower via GFC.

    Sandra SSBF Blog

    Here’s my FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE I was kind of in the middle about liking it or not. Ironically, it is kind of a DNF for me, but not on purpose. I borrowed it from the library and ran out of time to finish reading it before it was due. I'm waiting for it to be available again so I can finish it.

    new bloglovin follower

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to DNF a book but I've done it a few times as well. It's hard for me to really say when I call it quits as each time is kind of different. But it's rare for me to DNF a read as well.

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try sooo hard to carry on too. I really make a big effort. Though then I might read it for hours to just get it over with which means I'm tired when I read it and that makes me dislike it even more.

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice answer. Thanks for sharing :)

    follower via bloglovin

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/08/feature-and-follow-58.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's okay if the characters are good and the plot bad, but if the characters are bad I just can't deal with it ><

    Happy Friday!
    My FF
    Blogaversary Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree if I'm not hooked by page 100 pages I usually don't make it to the end. A book has to be fast-paced to keep my interest.

    New GFC follower :)

    Mia Hoddell
    Gift card giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really great answer. I happen to always power through books in case something better is waiting for me. I'm a Bloglovin follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I think it has a lot of potential and I'm curious, I'll stick with it. But if it's awful I just stop!

    Old follower!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...