Friday, 23 August 2013

Movie Review: The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones

The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones
Genre: Fantasy, Action, Adventure
Film running length: 130 min
UK Release Date: 21/8/2013
Directed by: Harald Zwart
Country: United States
Language: English
Distributor: Entertainment One
Who's in it?
Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower, Robert Sheehan
Plotline: 
Set in contemporary New York City, a seemingly ordinary teenager, Clary Fray (Lily Collins), discovers she is the descendant of a line of Shadowhunters, a secret cadre of young half-angel warriors locked in an ancient battle to protect our world from demons. After the disappearance of her mother (Lena Headey), Clary must join forces with a group of Shadowhunters, who introduce her to a dangerous alternate New York called Downworld, filled with demons, warlocks, vampires, werewolves and other deadly creatures. Based on the worldwide best-selling book series.

My Thoughts:
So, I got home from the cinema about an hour ago. Yeah, I finally got to see City of Bones! I know it only came out on Wednesday but I've been so excited all week and I'm satisfied that I've seen it. I really liked the film but I didn't love it. I'm not sure what it was but I didn't feel too grabbed by it? I think I went in with my expectations a bit too high. 

I know I shouldn't expect too much with book to movie adaptations but there’s no harm in hoping, right? Okay, so there were parts that I thoroughly enjoyed however there were a few scenes that made me cringe. It wasn't the acting that made me cringe, I just felt like there were some parts that should’ve been left out. One thing that got to me though was the persistent use of music. Now, I'm not one to normally complain about the use of music in a film but I think that there was no need to have a song every two minutes. I do actually want to hear the talking! Yes, it did fit at times but at other points I really didn't think that it was needed. 

I don’t want this review to be filled with spoilers so I'm trying my hardest to keep it short and sweet. Like with all adaptations there were some changes to the plot, this didn't bother me too much as it’s something you should expect. But there were some scenes which had some major changes that I felt took away the essence of the book. Despite that I did find the movie enjoyable and the fight scenes were very entertaining. And don’t get me started on the special effects! They were so cool and that’s all I'm going to say before I blab on about them. The movie is 2 hours long which for me is great as I love long movies and it meant that they could fit more. However you may start to feel your bum going numb after a while. Saying that though, it didn't feel like I was in the cinema for that long! I guess I must've been really enjoying it.

And last but not least, I’d like to talk about the cast. I could talk about the cast for hours on end as I felt that they did a great job at portraying their roles. Jamie managed to capture Jace so well; there was the right amount of cockiness smothered in self adoration with a hint of vulnerability. Lily did a wonderful job with Clary; it’s nice to know that she was a fan of the series before there was a movie in the making. I would've liked to have seen more of Isabelle and Alec but I guess you can’t put them into scenes which they don’t fit in with. I just think that it would be nice to have seen her flirty side and Alecs bro-mance/fascination with Jace. The actor that surprised me the most though was Robert Sheehan. I wasn't particularly keen on Simon’s character in the book but with the movie I loved him! Maybe I'm being biased though as Robbies one of my favourite actors anyway. However I don’t think we got to see his full potential as he really is a hilarious actor with a lot of energy. The rest of the cast were awesome, Jonathan Rhys Meyers bought intensity to Valentines character which I didn't think was possible! I really think he should lose the braids though; it’s not a good look for him. 

I'm going to wrap this up here but I have one final thing to say. This film is for anyone, I know people say that about a lot of films but it really is true with this one! It’s not just for girls, yes there is a bit of romance and the main character is a female. But there are many kick ass fighting scenes which should appeal to the males! And if that’s not enough for you, the cast is full of hot totty which will have you swooning for days. I feel that you don’t need to read the books before seeing this film as we’re just as clueless as Clary and a lot of stuff is explained as the plot thickens. If you’re still unsure about whether you should read the book first you can find my review for it here. I hope you all enjoy the film and I’d love to hear your view on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...