Tuesday, 6 August 2013

[Review] The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
Published July 2nd 2013 by Harper Teen
Paperback, 320 Pages
Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.
So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.
She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn't approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn't been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn't a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

My Thoughts: 
Well done Kasie West, you have managed to capture me under your spell with your magical writing. I admit I was a bit sceptic to read this book as there are so many mixed reviews but they didn't stop me from falling in love with everything about it! 

I hadn't read anything by Kasie before but now I'm considering Pivot Point, it’s another that sounds right up my street. I'm going to be brutally honest with you guys, I was drawn to this book because of the cover alone. I mean, look how beautiful it is! Everything works well on it but what particularly stood out to me was the typography. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to typography and when it doesn't work it can bring a cover down. It really works with everything on cover from the image to the colours and even the theme of the book. It’s a contemporary book and I think that the cover is perfect for this particular genre.

When I was finally finished swooning over the cover I took a deep breath and started reading. I was sure that I wouldn't like this book but as I got further into it I found myself still awake at 7am wanting to know what would happen next. Yes I had fallen completely head over heels in love with this book and couldn't stop reading it. It took all my strength to finally put it down and go to sleep. I don’t know what it is with Kasie’s writing but I was devoted to it and like I said, it managed keep me up till all hours. I don’t often find a book that has a hold on me like that.

West has created down to earth, loveable characters which you can easily relate to. I had a smile on my face throughout the book and was laughing uncontrollably at some points. Caymen, oh how that girl made me laugh. Her sarcasm and wit was definitely the selling point of her character. We see her grow and mature as she experiences new things as the story goes on. She oversees her mum’s prejudices and learns that not everyone is the same, that not every rich person is going destroy her life for the excitement of hanging out with a “poor” person for a while. That brings me to Xander, the cocky rich boy with a heart stopping smile. Only he turns out to be completely different to what Caymen expects. As they grow closer over morning hot chocolates and “career days” we see them bring out the best in each other. I was rooting for them from the start and was happy with the outcome. It was a long time coming but it happened! 

I liked the other characters as well, I hardly ever like every character in a book but with this one I did! They’re all so utterly lovely it was hard not to like them. I did feel sorry for Mason (Tic) as he seemed to genuinely like Caymen, but I guess you can’t help who you fall for, no matter their status. Skye was a great addition to the story; she’s the kind of best friend I’d like. The type that doesn't judge you based on your choices and stands by you no matter what. I did think that Caymens mum was a bit absurd at times; however I completely understood why she was that way. I just wanted her to give Xander a chance so she could see for herself how perfect he was for her daughter. 

The back and forth banter between Caymen and Xander kept me entertained for hours. It was so perfectly written I felt like I was sat watching them from a distance. The books written in first person, I felt that this was right for the story as it made me feel more involved with the book and it helped me sympathise with Caymen during times of worry. West has sculpted the romance to perfection in this book. It had the right amount of swoon worthy moments and I didn't feel the need to dry heave during cheesy moments. It’s the kind of romance that gives you butterflies in your stomach, so basically it’s the good type! 

Once you pick up this book you won’t be able to put it down. You will fall in love with Kasie West’s writing. And you will most certainly feel a bit lost when you finish reading it as you’ll be craving more! This book is enough to pull anyone out of a reading slump; I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a cute summer read that comes with a dash of feels. And if you're not keen on contemporaries I think you should read this at it might just change your opinion on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...