Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Book Review: Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
Published February 4th 2014 by HarperCollins
Hardback, 416 pages
Synopsis:
Juliette now knows she may be the only one who can stop the Reestablishment. But to take them down, she'll need the help of the one person she never thought she could trust: Warner. And as they work together, Juliette will discover that everything she thought she knew - about Warner, her abilities, and even Adam - was wrong.
My Thoughts:
Let me apologise in advance if this review is slightly confusing, I’m still feeling an overwhelming sense of sadness towards this series. Not because I didn’t enjoy it or the ending disappointed me, believe me it didn’t. But I’m just unhappy that it’s over. What am I supposed to read now? I need my fix. Mafi has created something extraordinary and now its finished. Just like that it’s done. I may have to start reading fan fiction just to satisfy my need for Warner.

Waiting for Ignite Me to arrive in the post was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced. Seeing so many people on Goodreads enjoying the book while I was still waiting for my copy killed me. I was jealous. The buildup to this book was like Christmas, New Years and my birthday all rolled up into one majestic event. The happiness I felt upon reading this book was incredible. I can imagine that it was like what people feel when they complete a marathon. The satisfaction and joy is out of this world. Okay so maybe I’m slightly over-exaggerating but oh my, this book, it was awesome. It did have its faults but at this point I don’t really care. I could read anything Tahereh writes and absolutely love it. Why can’t she adopt me?

As always the writing in Ignite Me was absolutely flawless, I wasn’t surprised at the pure beauty of Mafi’s writing, as I’ve learnt to expect it. It’s always so lyrical and flows effortlessly throughout the book. That’s the thing about Tahereh, everything she writes manages to have a meaning and purpose within the plot.

“And we are quotation marks, inverted and upside down, clinging to one another at the end of this life sentence. Trapped by lives we did not choose.”

In this installment we see unlikely alliances form and past relationships crumble into nothingness. But one thing’s for sure; Juliette will stop at nothing until she has what she wants. Finally Juliette is no longer the scared little girl we saw in Shatter Me, she has grown into a powerhouse heroine that I cant help but admire. Mafi’s character development skills have wowed me. Never have I read a series where I’ve loved most of the characters and the choices they have made to grow into stronger people. What surprised me the most was how they all embraced the changes with such open arms. Except for one that is, Adams still pretty much a dick throughout the whole of the book. I know his heart is broken but there are much bigger things that are happening in the world. GROW A PAIR AND GET OVER IT.

Why is his heartbroken? Well I think it might have something to do with chapter 55. Holy mother of God, damn Tahereh knows how to tastefully write steamy scenes. I may sound like a pervert but boy oh boy was I biting my lip while reading this. I think I went back and read it quite a few times actually. And just when I didn’t think it could get any better chapter 58 came along! 

If you’ve made it this far into the review I applaud you. I can’t help the swooning. It’s inevitable that you’ll swoon during this series unless you’re devoid of emotion. Okay that was harsh, I’m sorry! Anyway, I’d like to get one little complaint out of the way. I felt that the final battle scene in Ignite Me was too quick. After such a dramatic build up the battle was a bit of a bore. It was almost too easy for Juliette and the gang to overthrow Anderson. Unlike most YA series there wasn’t any major deaths which some of you may welcome after the shit storm that was Allegiant. But realistically someone of importance would’ve died if this actually happened, maybe many people for that matter. 

Other than my slight complaint I thoroughly enjoyed this book. All of the main components were perfectly balanced however I wouldn’t of minded some more intimate scenes, if you know what I mean *wink wink*. I’m just going to throw this out there, Aaron Warner is deliciously divine, and there is no competition when it comes to this guy because he is fab. Although there was another character who stole the show in this book and the rest of the series if I’m being honest.  Kenji. Oh our darling Kenji is once again nothing but a bag of laughs throughout Ignite Me.  If I had a friend like him I would probably pee myself on a daily basis because he’s that funny. Yet he’s also so caring and understanding when it comes to Juliette and the choices she has made. He’s the kind of friend that everyone wants really.

Although it’s been a week since I finished this book I’m still hung up on it and I think I will be for a while. It’s always sad when one of your favourite series comes to an end (well it is for me anyway) But I think that with this we were given the perfect ending, yes there were so many more things that could’ve happened. However, I really do think that Tahereh did justice to the characters and gave them the ending they deserved, as a reader I cant be anymore happy with that than I already am.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annoushka,
    I still need to read the Shatter me series.. So many books are still on my TBR list, including this one. I love your blog, just became a new follower!

    Happy reading,
    Myra
    http://imlovingbooks.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!
      You should definitely pick this series up. I had my doubts about it because there was so much hype surrounding it but it really is worth the read. Thanks for the follow, I really appreciate it.

      I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
      Annoushka

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...