Tuesday, 11 February 2014

The Mortal Instruments: Why I won't finish this series

The Mortal Instruments, a universally adored series that has became increasingly popular in the past year since the release of the movie. If you asked me two years ago if I’d read this series I wouldn’t have known what you were on about. I never used to read as much as I do now so I wasn’t particularly aware of popular books.  I’m not going to lie and say I was in this fandom from day one, to be perfectly honest, I didn’t read City of Bones until last summer right before the movie came out. I was never too sure as to whether I’d like this series but I thought I’d give it a go.

After finishing City of Glass in September I have been contemplating whether to carry on with the series or not. After much consideration I have decided not to. Some of you may think I’m crazy for not continuing whereas others might agree with my decision. Wow, this is beginning to sound like something more serious than what it is!

For me personally City of Glass was the final book in the TMI series. It had originally been written as the ending of what would be a trilogy but Cassandra Clare continued on with it. I felt that City of Glass gave me the closure I wanted and I now have no desire to carry on with the series. It has nothing to do with the books themselves as I actually found them quite enjoyable when I read them. I may seem like I’m contradicting myself here but it would be nice to know what happens to each  of the characters in the end, I just don’t think I want to read another three books to find out.

Do you ever get tired of a series? I do, and I always end up feeling bad for it as I feel like I’m letting not only myself but also the author down. You’ve invested so much time in a series and then one day it doesn’t interest you anymore. This isn’t something that happens often but when it does its a shame.

Right now I’m on a book-buying ban until I get down my ever-expanding TBR pile but I’d like some recommendations. I’ve wanted to branch out from YA for a while so I’m looking for some good adult books; I’m not particularly fussed about the genre so give me your best! And don’t worry, I still love YA and will be reading it just as much as I always do.


4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. I too think City of Glass was the ending of the series and should have stayed that way. I too refuse to read further into the series. I won't let Cassandra Clare rip my heart out where she gave me the perfect ending before. Why put myself through all that torture.

    Glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I have felt so alone in this! *high five*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've seen so many spoilers about the rest of the series that really put me off. City of Glass had the happy ending and everyone I liked was still alive at that point. But it seems that in the book coming out this year loads of people are going to die, no thank you, don't want that.

      *high 5 for being different!*

      Delete
  2. I have been slowly moving on from YA books for a long time now but they are my weakness. Haven't read this series yet but I have seen the film and I thought it was quite good. Eager to read at least the first book to see what the differences are.
    I’m working by way though my TBR pile as well. Reading Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris at the moment. She is always good.
    *looking at my bookshelves to try and recommend someone else*
    Margaret Atwood is one of my favourite authors so anything by her. I loved Wild Swans by Jung Chang and anything by Leon Uris is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YA is definitely my weakness too, I don't know what it is that hooks my attention but it always manages to! It's worth giving this series a go although it wasn't my favourite I still found myself invested in it.
    Thank you for the recommendations! I'll have to check these out on Goodreads :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always lovely hearing from you guys! So I will try my hardest to reply to you all, no matter how long it takes :)

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...